There is a covenant relationship between Jesus, a Christ-follower, and a local church. Embracing and signing the covenant serves as the final step for full membership at LifePoint Church.
LifePoint Church Membership Covenant
When a person enters into relationship with God, by grace through faith in Jesus Christ, that covenant holds two expressions. The first is to journey with God for the rest of their lives and to love him fully. The second is to journey with his children in a community of Christ- followers called the local church. Church membership is the means of fulfilling the life God intended for every Christian to live in this world. [1 Cor 3:10-17; Eph 2:19-22; 4:1-32]
The PURPOSE of the LifePoint Membership Covenant is to...
Join the Spirit in forming authentic community that reflects the relationship of the Triune God [Ephesians 4:1-6]
Clarify the ongoing blessings and responsibilities of each member [Ephesians 4:7-12]
Encourage consistency, accountability and loving unity for growth and maturity of every member [Ephesians 4:13-16]
- Accomplish God’s will for the LifePoint family [Ephesians 2:19-22]
As the Leadership of LifePoint Church, we covenant to...
Lovingly care for you and seek your growth in Christ. [Heb 13:7; 1 Thes 5:12; 1 Peter 5:1-3]
Provide preaching, teaching and counsel from the Scriptures that spans the whole counsel of God’s Word. [Acts 20:27-28; 1 Cor 2:1-5; 2 Tim 4:1-2]
Help you in times of need. [Acts 2:42; 4:32-35; James 2:14-17]
Maintain that the Elders and Deacons will meet the criteria assigned to them in the scriptures. [1 Tim 3:1-13; 5:17-22; Titus 1:5-9; 1 Peter 5:1-4]
Pray for you regularly, particularly when you are sick. [James 5:14]
Be on guard against false teachers. [Acts 20:28-31]
Exercise church discipline when necessary. [Matt 18:15-20; 1 Cor 5; Gal 6:1]
Help equip you to serve Christ. [Eph 4:11-13]
Seek God’s will for LPC to the best of our ability as we study the Scriptures and follow the Spirit. [Acts 20:28; 1 Peter 5:1-5]
Set an example and join you in fulfilling the duties of church members. [1 Cor 11:1; Phil 3:17; 1 Tim 4:12]
As a member of LifePoint Church, I covenant the following...
- Salvation: I am a Christian, saved by grace through faith. I have repented of my sins, received God’s forgiveness and trust Jesus with my whole life. [Ephesians 2:8-9; Titus 3:3-7]
- Doctrinal Unity & Followship: I have read and understand the LP doctrinal statement and agree not to be divisive to its teaching. I also understand the importance of submission to church leadership and will be diligent to preserve unity and peace. [Ephesians 4:1-6; 1 Thes 5:12-13; Heb 13:7,17]
- Spiritual Growth: I will seek to grow in my relationship with Jesus Christ through the regular practice of spiritual disciplines such as Bible reading, prayer, regular gathered worship attendance, community group participation and fellowship with other Christ-followers, serving through the LP community and sharing the gospel with people of the world. [Psa 119:97; Acts 2:42-47; Heb 10:23-25]
- Stewardship: I will strive to properly manage the resources God has entrusted to me including all my time, treasure and talents for the glory of God and regularly give my tithes and offerings to the Lord through LifePoint sacrificially, generously and cheerfully. [Prov 3:9-10; 2 Cor 8 & 9; Romans 12:1-2; Gal 5:22-26; Eph 4:1-16; 5:15-18]
- Missional Vision: I commit myself to aid in fulfilling LifePoint’s missional purpose to both serve and share the gospel; beginning in Ozark with my neighbor, extending to the nations at the ends of the earth. [Matt 28:18-20; Heb 13:17]
- Serve & Minister: I commit to using the spiritual gifts(s) God has given me for the building up the church, both at LP and universally. [Romans 12:1-8; 1 Cor 12:7-31; Eph 2:19-22; 4:12-16; 1 Peter 4:7-11]
- Fellowship Unity: I covenant to practice the humility and sacrificial attitude of Christ by considering the needs of others, not gossiping and seeking spiritual friendships. [Prov 16.28; 17:17; 27:17; Matt 18:15-17; Phil 2:1-11]
- Fellowship Loyalty: I covenant to have friendly Christian relationships with brothers and sisters in Christ from other churches, but I will not function in leadership or as a member in another church family. [Heb 13:17]
- Church Discipline: I covenant to follow the biblical procedures of church discipline, and submit myself to discipline if the need should ever arise. [Matt 18:15-17; Gal 6:1-5]
- Scriptural Authority: I covenant to submit to the authority of the Scriptures as the final arbiter on all issues. [Psa 119; 2 Tim 3:16-17; Hebrews 4:12]
By God’s grace, I will strive to consider my commitment to this Membership Covenant on a yearly basis. I understand that it is an evaluative tool, as well as an affirmation of my continuing conviction and purpose. My responsibility will be to notify the LifePoint Elders if at any time I can no longer commit to this covenant, or if I have any questions, comments or concerns regarding LifePoint Church.
DOWNLOAD a copy of the Membership Covenant